Introducing VMware Horizon Mail
I’m excited to announce the immediate availability of VMware Horizon Mail that can be downloaded from Google Play. VMware Horizon Mail is a native Android collaboration application that allows you to access your corporate email, calendar, contacts, tasks and files from any Android device.
The previous incarnation of this application was called VMware Zimbra for Android and made available as a fling. Based on customer feedback, we decided to productize and release the app via Google Play. This will also be the default email/PIM client for our VMware Horizon Mobile initiative.
Horizon Mail supports any Microsoft ActiveSync compliant email server and also supports the VMware Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS). With ZCS as the backend, Horizon Mail offers several additional ZCS-only features such as Briefcase, Saved Searches, and others that are not available in any of the Android email applications in the market today. Horizon Mail was tested with Microsoft Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010 and Zimbra Collaboration Suite 6.x, 7.x and 8.x. It supports Android 2.x, 3.x and 4.x.
There are a lot of cool features in VMware Horizon Mail, and some of the highlights include:
- Comprehensive capabilities for Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks
- Best-in-market support for VMware Zimbra Collaboration Suite with features such as Briefcase, Saved Searches, etc.
- Clean, elegant but powerful user interface
- Create widgets to access email, contacts and calendar from home screen
- Conversation mode
- Comprehensive folder support with ability to automatically sync individual folders
- Local and server-based search
- Integrate with native PIM to view personal and “work” Contacts and Calendar together
- Support for ActiveSync policies such as PIN, etc.
- Support for certificate-based authentication and S/MIME for encrypted emails
- Enabled for multi-window capability on select devices
- GAL search
- And much more…
I encourage you to download the application, check out all the features and give this app a spin! Here’s what you’ll see while you’re in VMware Horizon Mail:
Conversation view with selected messages to show context sensitive menus
Click on Inbox to easily switch to Calendar, Contacts, Tasks or Briefcase views
Folder Management – Long press on folder to sync contents
Calendar view – Combine work and personal calendars into a single view
Contacts view – Combine work and personal contacts into a single view
Our team is excited to deliver this new application to our mobile users, and we look forward to hearing your feedback! Please join the VMware Horizon Mail discussion [forum] where you can engage with other users, and interact with the team developing the app to submit bugs and feature requests. (Note: Currently the user interface is optimized for smartphones.)